8.30.2010

This is like live-action Sims, Ghana Edition...

I feel incredibly lucky that I have it relatively easy as a PCV in Ghana, the black star of West Africa. After all I do have a cell phone, access to the internet, cold drinks, imported goodies, all in a hospitable, English-speaking country. Yet the disparity between the new and the old, the modern and the traditional, is very apparent throughout Ghana, as is the case of many developing countries. This certainly won’t be life on the beach (though there are some volunteers who are actually placed on the beach) as much work still needs to be done in an environment where progress comes slowly. Theodore Roosevelt said, “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” Posh Corps or not, I intend to make the most of my experience.

Anyway, not really sure what else to say yet. I have been “busy” at site settling in, playing house, and imagining the day when my new home will feel like home. Dry, scorching hot, and unpaved, northern Volta lacks the lushness and general ease-of-access compared to mid- and lower-Volta. My first couple of weeks alone in Kpassa will open my eyes to the possibilities and limitations of living in northern Volta for the next two years. Welcome to the first three months of Peace Corps living. Welcome to life in slow motion.

I can't get good enough internet connection here to upload pictures on facebook, but here is the newest addition to the Cheung family.





Sideways - Citizen Cope

3 comments:

A fan of Ms. Desmond said...

How cute! (No one died).

Kate S. said...

How the heck do you have a puppy? I thought you were dirt poor now, how are you going to feed that puppy on just dirt? Anyways, I'd call him flealick for sure, after that cute doggie in Babe 2: Pig in the City that had paralyzed legs so he had backwheels. Or you can call him "Scraps" because I feel that's all you'll have to feed him for a while. Or call it something cute like Nikita or Sasha (which is kind of gender neutral).

When will that dog meet MY dog Mila?

Emily said...

Hey there! Cute puppy! I think its funny that you call Ghana Posh Corps... that's how most RPCVs refer to Eastern European countries too... haha

Disclaimer:

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.