6.30.2010

I am a walking bag of blood.

Ghana is loud; there is no such thing as silence. The heat has been tolerable so far but the bug bites are driving me insane. Every day I slather on cortisone and insect repellent to no avail.

Site announcement: I will be posted in the very Northern part of the Volta region, smack dab in the middle of Ghana’s Eastern border with Togo and my job will be working with environment youth clubs for a NGO.

The environment group (all 15 of us) lives in a rural village that have no paved roads and to reach any town we’d have to take a taxi on muddy roads for about 1 cedi each way. Considering that we are given 4 cedis a day, that is a substantial amount for transportation costs alone. In addition, the last taxi to come home leaves at 6 pm when our training schedule usually runs from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday to Saturday. In conclusion, my time availability to access the internet is extremely limited…

Currently, I am living in a compound with my host family where I have my own very blue room. They lavish me with Fanmilk products, such as FanYogurt, FanIce, and FanChoco, which tastes like strawberry yogurt, cake frosting, and frozen chocolate milk respectively. I really lucked out with my host family; they are pretty well off, modernized, and gives me the private space many other trainees here are missing out on.

The first time I washed my laundry with my host mother on a Sunday, I didn't know what was more awkward, washing a week’s worth of dirty underwear in the middle of the compound for a Ghanaian audience or cheesing it for my host mother as she snap pictures with my camera.

After proving my clothes –washing abilities, it was off to 3 hours of church service. 50 people fervently praying aloud in Twi, their voices as strong as their raw faith. I join the dance line. As I shuffle my feet and flap my arms to spiritual bellows and beats, I have never felt more judgment from God in my entire life than at this particular moment. I hope he liked my moves.

I tried to upload some pictures but the internet cafe here is kind of slow. Next time!

Wavin' Flag - K'naan

No comments:

Disclaimer:

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.