7.10.2010

Site visit aka reality check:

Packed like sardines in a tro tro, there is something inspiring as we drove towards Kpassa in the thickening darkness of dusk, a town glistening with lights like embers in the distance. Maybe I am a romantic or maybe it is the deliriousness brought on by lack of sleep and weariness but already I feel love growing for this gem of a town. This is my site. This is my home.

Kpassa is the capital of the Nkwanta North district. Though its roads remain unpaved (though not for much longer), it is one of the most vibrant commercial centers in the Volta Region. Already on the national power grid with piped water coming in the near future, Kpassa will be facing major infrastructural changes, bringing many opportunities as well as challenges.

Footprints of Realisation (FOR Ghana), the organization I will be working closely with, aims to promote community development through the youth of the district by empowering them mentally, socially, politically, and economically. Only a year old, this promising NGO hopes to raise the standards of education and mobilize resources to improve the quality of life in the Nkwanta North District. Though I am originally requested as an environment volunteer, I am excited to collaborate with the founders and help FOR Ghana achieve its goals. l will truly be grateful if I ever need cooperation and support from my American colleagues in the future!

It has been over a month since I set foot upon this country but know that I carry all of you in my heart. Even though I may fail at keeping in touch with all the people in my life, thank you for the memories and may our paths cross again! Meanwhile, everyone is invited to my home . Did I mention that we have the most amazing sky? Not much beats bucket bathing in the African darkness bejeweled with stars.

Tomorrow, it is back to more traveling and pre-service training. These last couple of weeks before officially swearing in as true Peace Corps volunteers will be stressful, emotional, phenomenal as we come closer and closer to when we have to part with newly made friends and fully embrace our responsibilities as 2010 Ghana PCVs. New challenges await.

Dance party in my host family room.

The obroni exhibit is now open!


My babies.


At church. Sorry for the upside-downness.

2 comments:

Jonah Lang said...

come on, you can dance better than that.

A fan of Ms. Desmond said...

I pretty much had water bottle showers for 1.5 months going across the US. Buckets sound like a luxury!! (This is Irene, btw).

Disclaimer:

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.