11.11.2010

I like to help baby goats find their mothers so they can stop screaming already.

The local NGO I’m working for, Footprints of Realisation (FOR Ghana), thinks writing grant proposals is as easy as eating fufu (with your right hand, shoveling it into your mouth). Just last week they decided to drop two last-minute projects on me out of the blue with no warning from the past 3 months that I have been here. As a result, they were informed with a firm no that we cannot get a grant approved in less than a month, thus leaving us with limited resources and scrambling around town asking for more. I feel this is something I am just going to have to get used to…

One of the projects is organizing a small program for World AIDS Day, which is Dec. 1st (but we are planning for Dec. 2nd. Africa runs on a slower schedule, even on official days apparently). Basically we are going to run the JHS Leadership Clubs around town making a ruckus, jabbing signs, and doing garbage clean-up. Following that will be a film showing about HIV/AIDs and a condom demonstration. Maybe get a nurse to speak a few. As I am now travelling again for In-Service Training (IST) next week and then to Accra for Thanksgiving celebrations at the Ambassador’s house (Hah! I get turkey too, America. In your face! Or rather, in my face.), I have so little time!

Anyway, I look forward to IST in Kumasi next week where we will given more information about how to attain much needed resources, i.e. how to do better at our jobs and not waste taxpayers’ money. The Environment sector will also be back together again as a group first time in 3 months and there will be a lot of catching up to do. I hope there will be flipcharts and juice boxes involved. Good times.

Kpassa is really littered. This is a bola. It is basically a public dumping ground, both fecally and materially. Every morning on my way into town or to the school, I see these toddlers poohing and peeing all over, leaving a steamy mess as the afternoon heat humidifies everything.


Two little neighbors of mine posing for the camera.


Duck soap advertising gone wrong.


Video clip of the Kpassa JHS 'B' Leadership Club performing a HIV/AIDS song:


This week has been ridiculously hectic with me biking throughout town visiting administrative offices and schools. I am finally putting my mountain bike to good use (instead of as a rack), though at this rate I’m going to shred my tires; it seems to be on automatic for finding the rockiest paths (which should really be a tourist attraction of Kpassa, I’d say). Teaching ICT went really well, considering there are 4 computers (one of them being mine) for a class of 50 . Better than the first time I taught ICT when I only had a keyboard.

Anyway, time to hand-wash my clothes in a bucket and then off to an afternoon nap.

Better Together – Jack Johnson

1 comment:

Kristi said...

"I hope there will be flipcharts and juice boxes involved." Word. What would a PC training event be without those?

Disclaimer:

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.