3.18.2011

I hate Mef. It won't cure my Bieber fever.


Today is Friday, and for those PCV Mef-heads who have not yet missed a dose of our beloved weekly “anti-malarial” drug, Mefloquine, we like to call it Freaky Friday. Going straight to the point, dealing with the side effects of Mefloquine has been so far the hardest part of my Peace Corps experience (harder than when I had to scrape pus and goo from my leg wound for a month with a Swiss army knife), which is not so bad considering other people’s experiences with malaria, dysentery, intestinal problems, you name it. But thanks to an iron stomach (20+ years of nail biting totally pays off) and simple preventive measures like not eating poop, I have had the luck of not getting too sick yet. Sorry to disappoint.

Mefloquine however, is a different story. This horrid little white pill that I despise but still voluntarily swallow. I am not as crazy as I would like to be, but this pill brings out the crazy with no control. Depression, vivid dreams, hallucinations, anxiety, paranoia, loss of memory, nausea, itching, hair loss, the fun don’t stop. Poor Jonathan has to deal with me calling him weeping in the middle of the night just because of a dream. He probably hates Mefloquine more than I do. Anyway, I’ll be switching to an alternative drug soon, hopefully. Which brings me to…

You know you’re a PCV in Africa when…
#13: You pop pills like it’ll keep you from dying.

Anyway, there is a lull in my activities as I wait for my proposal to be approved so I have been spending my spare time catching up on current events, primarily finally figuring out who Justin Bieber is.

"Beauty, in this world." From The Elegance of the Hedgehog, by Muriel Barbery.

Just Can’t Get Enough – The Black Eyed Peas

5 comments:

Rita said...

My brave friend the Mef-head

Rita said...

you will be receiving your package soon. contents may be expired. don't be picky.

Rita said...

i will send another along shortly

Rita said...

that one text message you send has me thirstin' for more

Rita said...

i miss you so much :(

Disclaimer:

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.